Lent will soon be upon us, which means we will have to survive for several days without meat. As a public service, I will be providing recipes over the next few weeks to help ease the pain of meatless Fridays. This week, I will be doing a Spaghetti Aioli with Seared Scallops. An aioli is just oil and whole garlic cloves sautéed. In this version, we’ll also be using the butter for the scallops in the sauce. The recipe below is for 4 servings so be advised.
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 8 Garlic cloves peeled
- Olive oil
- 1 lb. scallops
- 2 tbsp. butter
- White wine (optional)
1) Fill a pot with water and set it to a boil. The average amount of water is 1 gallon for every 1 pound of pasta. Add a pinch of salt after it begins to boil and place the pasta in. The pasta will cook in 10-15 minutes.
2) Score your scallops (slightly cut into one side in X shape) and coat both sides with salt and pepper.
3) Heat pan on high and coat the bottom of the pan in oil.
4) When your oil is hot, place your scallops in, scored side down. Sear for only 1 minute, not touching them, and flip. Sear the other side.
5) After both sides are seared, place the butter into the pan and push the scallops back away from the butter. Allow the butter to brown.
6) After the butter has browned, spoon over the scallops, causing the scallops to brown at the
top. Place to the side and let rest.
7) Using the butter left in the pan, place garlic cloves in and sauté. Add olive oil and white wine to make the sauce.
8) Once the cloves are soft, and sauce is heated, plate pasta and add your scallops. Top with sauce and cloves.
That’s all there is to it folks! Enjoy your meal and as always feel free to leave comments if you any questions or suggestions.